Saturday, February 27, 2010

Fashion, Theatre, and Food & Wine Fest


The events are coming at me and I see no sign of a lighter schedule. Last night I attended the opening party for Miami International Fashion Week at Gary Nader Fine Arts Gallery even though the actual Fashion Week doesn't begin until the middle of March. Large Botero sculptures in the courtyard of the gallery seemed to welcome us as we entered but the party was inside where the two-level gallery was filled with fashionistas and media types. The art was exquisite, the fashions worn by wandering models was lovely and the food available at several food stations was very tasty (delicious tuna, guacamole and cake on a stick). There was even Ed Hardy vodka being served. I didn't drink the vodka (I had beer) but I did snatch a couple of the tattoo artist designed vodka bottles. Tonight I attended the opening night of the play The Golden Gays, a drag spoof on the Golden Girls, at the Colony Theatre. The theatre was packed however there were a few walk-outs at intermission. The cast should have been miked as I couldn't hear a lot of the dialogue and I was in the fifth row. It was an interesting concept for a play but much of it didn't work. Tomorrow night I'll be attending the Roy & Lea Black Charity Gala at the Eden Roc Hotel. I'll be photographing the event for the charity and I'm really looking forward to seeing Natalie Cole perform. On Sunday afternoon, I'll be eating my way through the big tents on the beach for the Grand Tasting of the South Beach Food & Wine Festival. On Sunday night I'll writing about all that I've done as well as compiling the next issue of MiamiArtZine. More words and more photos. Photo: Beth Sobol (Director/founder of the Miami Fashion Week) and designer Julian Chang.

No comments: